Evaluation: Question 3



What I talked about:

Throughout the development of my products, I conducted three researches - a paper questionnaire, in order to get as many responses as quickly as possible, a rough cut viewing, so I can get a more in-depth feedback on my work, and a final cut and ancillary projects questionnaire, to test the response I would get and see if anything needed changing.

My first target audience research helped me decide on what aspects to add to the video and my ancillary products, according to what my target audience responds to. In that research, I found that most of my target audience turns to YouTube when it comes to watching music videos (which helped me decide on where I should post my final product) and some mentioned Instagram, which I noted and used for my social media marketing, posting previews of the video before its release. 

Another thing I found is that my audience put RnB third in their preference for music, which told me I needed to grab them with an interesting video and brand image, in order to make my artist successful. When I asked the participants what their favourite music video was, I got a lot of responses mentioning Ed Sheehan, due to his unique narratives in his videos, which meant that my narrative would have to be very original, in order to be memorable for my audience. 

When asked about what features appeal to them, my target audience ranked Props and Location in first place, followed by uncertain ending and Appearance of the artist, while special effects came last. Due to this, I relied heavily on appealing locations and props (smoke grenades and flares), made sure my artist’s appearance was kept simple and likeable for everyone, and of course, ended my video with a big plot twist. Although Special effects wasn’t ranked highly, my later research showed that my target audience responded to it positively. 

In one of my questions, I asked my target audience about what they would expect in a music video, and got 8 different categories of answers, out of which I included the top 4 - interesting location, dancing, bright colours and dark lighting. This added a more unique look to my video, which was guaranteed to be approved by the audience, as it was what they would expect.

My decision about making my video a mixture of performance and narrative was also influenced by the research, as those were the two top music video styles my audience preferred. Going by the preference of my target audience, I also chose to use two very different locations, as the respondents wanted to see everyday locations as well as interesting, new locations. 

After I created my rough cut, I went to some of my target audience I had asked initially and showed them the video, filming their reactions and questions. They all seemed to respond positively to the transitions I added, which led me to adding more of those in the final cut, as well as the end of the video, which told me this is a point I had to emphasise more on. 

While watching my target audience react to the video, I noticed that some of them got bored of the video towards the end, which I fixed in the final cut later on, by adding more flashback shots, making the video more fast paced, as well as adding overlays of animation, to make the video more entertaining. 

My first questions focused on the way they interpreted the video, telling me that they all recognised the video as RnB and they all got the general ides of the storyline, with slight different interpretations, which would raise a discussion in the public and help me advertise my product.

My next few questions focused on the making of the product itself, knowing whether there should be any areas I should focus on. The camera was rated on average as a high 9, which led me to believe they hadn’t noticed many of the shaky footage that I still had to fix and that it was perceived as normal. The editing also got a positive response - the transitions, the slow motion shots and the fast paced beat edits were favoured by my audience, so I added more in the final cut. However, the lip syncing got a more negative response, letting me know that some of it felt too fake and it wasn’t synced properly, so I noted that down as an area that needed improvement. 

The respondets’ favourites included the double exposure transition in the beginning and the vibrant colours of the video, so I made sure that there were more match on action transitions in the final cut, and that the colour grading was vibrant too to match the studio scenes. When I asked them about what they disliked in the video, the audio was mentioned, as well as the colour grading, especially in the studio scenes and the pace of the video. 

After finishing my final cut, digipak and website, I created an online questionnaire and asked my target audience to fill it out. 

The first question was whether they saw a progress between the rough cut and final cut, to which most responded with yes, and others noted that they hadn’t seen it. 

Afterwards, I asked them if they noticed a storyline and what it was, to which most all of them responded positively and gave answers that indicated they understood both the narrative and the plot twist, saying that it’s about a girl that meets a guy and her best friend ends up going out with the guy. 

When asked to rate the camera work, 8 people voted 8, 6 voted 10, 4 voted 9 and 3 voted for 7. When asked to rate the editing, 8 voted 10, 6 voted 8, 4 voted 9, 2 voted 7 and 1 person voted 6. This indicated that there was some more field for improvement in terms of stabilising and focusing the camera and making some edits smoother. 

I also asked my participants if they saw a connection between my video and ancillary products, to which 19 answered with yes, one answered with no, and one said there was a very weak one. Aftwerwards, I asked them if that was an artist they would listen to, to which 18 said yes and 3 said no. This told me that my artist didn’t reach out to a wide enough group of audience, which is a flaw I would have fixed if I asked a wider range of people initially, including more boys.

In the last question, I asked them whether they have any notes on what I can improve and some of them said that I should relate my website and digipak more to the video and put the artist’s name in the video, which made me decide to fade in Caleo’s logo in the beginning of the video. Some of their notes also talked about the focusing of the camera, which I fixed with a sharpening mask in premiere pro, and some of them had issues with the audio and background music clash in the begging, which I fixed by making the audio louder and clearer through reverb. 


 Target Audience Research:





Rough Cut Viewings:



Final Products Feedback:



Comments

Popular Posts