The Making of The Digipak


My initial idea for the digipak was to make it very minimal, using illustrator and photoshop to make flames on a black background, with a simple title. However, as I was making the drafts, I thought it looked too simple, so I looked that the existing products from my genre for inspiration, which led to my decision of using the pictures I have initially taken for the digipak.


When choosing the pictures I wanted on the front and back cover, I chose two similar images that had a line going through, which I matched in order to make it look like a continuous image, rather than two separate images.


After I chose the two main images, I researched into different techniques I could use to edit them. In my research, I stumbled on a video tutorial on masking, which led me to start experimenting with masking, leaving different colours out, until I finally decided on leaving the red as a prime colour. 


To make my front cover more conventional, I added the name of the artist and the name of the album, by putting the logo of the album behind the artist's head.



Once I chose my cover images, I chose the disk image and the image inside of the digipak and edited them accordingly to the style I had already created.



As the digipak was supposed to fold, it also created a spine, which contained the production company logo, Caleo's logo and the logo of the album.


Afterward, I made the first draft of my digipak:

The problems with my draft were:
1. Legal information was hard to read
2. The image inside the digipak didn't fit the theme
3. The CD needed legal information
4. The font on the track list wasn't conventional
5. The serial number on the spine was too big
6. The framing on the back cover wasn't correct
7. It was missing a Parental Consent logo

To fix this, I added a black mask around the back image, making the legal information more visible, I inversed the two production logos to make them clearer, added legal information around the edge of the CD, as well as the two production logos in the middle, I changed the font on the track list, as well as adding a glow and a shadow, I made the serial number smaller and added a parental consent logo on the front cover. After fixing all of those problems, my digipak was finally completed.






Comments

Popular Posts